The Obi-Datti Presidential Campaign Council, has insisted that it will proceed with the mobilisation of supporters of the Labour Party to protest at all offices if the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) nationwide.
According to the chief spokesman for Obi campaign council, Yunusa Tanko, there is no going back on mobilisation of their supporters to occupy INEC offices nationwide.
Tanko said the party deliberately didn’t fix a date for the protest because it wanted to give INEC a grace period till Monday, Naija News learnt.
However, he said if the commission still refuses to grant its lawyers access to materials from the contentious February 25 presidential election by Monday, then they will hit the streets.
Tanko accused the electoral body of disobeying the order of the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal to grant the Labour Party flag bearer, Peter Obi and the party access to the certified true copies of materials used in the conduct of the poll.
He said “We didn’t fix a date for the protest because we deliberately wanted to give INEC up till Monday to respond to us first.
“But when they (INEC) fail to do what they are supposed to do, our supporters will hit the streets, by the grace of God. There is no going back.”
Recall that INEC got an injunction from the Court of Appeal last week to go ahead with the reconfiguration of the Bimodal Voters Accreditation System (BVAS) machines ahead of March 18 governorship and states Assembly elections.
That was following the request of Obi and his counterpart from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar to inspect the materials used for the election.
However, the commission has also insisted that even though every Nigerian has the constitutional and legal right to protest, no political party will be allowed to look into the brain of the BVAS or the biometrics of voters.