The organised Labour which consists of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union of Nigeria (TUC) has suspended its proposed strike action, 24 hours after embarking on nationwide protests against the removal of fuel subsidy.
President of Trade Union Congress (TUC), Festus Osifo announced this during an interview with Arise News on Thursday morning.
He said the Labour leaders who had earlier met with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu extracted some commitments to some of the issues raised during the meeting for immediate implementation.
Speaking on why the protest was suspended, Osifo announced, “The protest has been called off because the government has promised that within the next week, a lot of things will be put in place.”
Festus Osifo speaking on the meeting with President Bola at the Aso Rock, said the President was told frankly that “the committee that was proposed on the 19th of June had not made sufficient traction, and most of the input the Nigeria Labour Congress wanted has not come to pass.”
He further expressed that the NLC gave themselves an 8-week mandate that, from June 19th to August 19th, the entire issue would be dispensed with.