The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has rubbished the claims by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu that N1 trillion has been saved since his government ended the era of fuel subsidy payment.
President Tinubu, during his nationwide broadcast on Monday, declared that not less than N1 trillion had been saved since the removal of the fuel subsidy.
“In a little over two months, we have saved over a trillion Naira that would have been squandered on the unproductive fuel subsidy, which only benefitted smugglers and fraudsters. That money will now be used more directly and more beneficially for you and your families,” the Nigerian leader had said.
However, while speaking during the ongoing nationwide protest of organized labour, NLC President, Comrade Joe Ajaero, said no dime had been saved from the latest policy as claimed by the Nigerian leader.
Ajaero, who co-led the protest to the National Assembly complex in Abuja alongside his counterpart from the Trade Union Congress (TUC), Festus Osifo, said: “Mr President talked about N1trillion saved. The committee when we met, told us that no one kobo has been saved so far. Therefore, we have not agreed on what to pay anywhere.”