The Nigerian Army says its troopers of the 81 task force battalion of operation Hadin Kai have rescued one of the Chibok schoolgirls abducted by insurgents in 2014.
On April 14, 2014, 276 schoolgirls were abducted by Boko Haram terrorists from Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok town, Borno.
Many of the girls have since been rescued while some remain in captivity.
The rescued girl, identified as Mary Nkeki — with serial number 55 on the list of the abducted Chibok girls — was said to have been found on August 14 in Dikwa LGA of the state.
While speaking on Monday during the handover of the girl to the Borno state ministry of women affairs, Gold Chibuisi, the theatre commander, said the 27-year-old Nkeki was forcefully married to a Boko Haram fighter after she was abducted alongside others.
“While in captivity, she was forcefully married to one Adam, a Boko Haram terrorist fighter. Since her rescue, she has undergone thorough medical examination in our medical facility,” NAN quoted Chibuisi as saying.
“Equally, she has been adequately resuscitated and would be handed over to Borno State Government for further administration.”
Chibuisi said the Nigerian military is committed to containing security challenges in the north east and restore lasting peace in the region.
Speaking to journalists about her experience since the abduction in 2014, Nkeki said being in the den of the terrorists was full of suffering.
Nkeki said that she escaped with her husband in the night and was picked up by a military patrol team, adding that she left two other Chibok girls behind.
Earlier in August, the army announced that it troops rescued Rebecca Kabu, one of the Chibok girls, in Cameroon on July 17.
Kabu, who was 13 at the time of her abduction, is now 23 years old.